A curated list of interesting and informative stuff from all around the Internet. Obscurity is a plus for inclusion here.
- HBR IdeaCast Perspectives from leading business thinkers.
- How I Built This How founders of well-known companies got their start.
- Planet Money Fun take on parts of the economy we don’t often think about.
- Rework A better way to work and run your business.
- Automotive News Auto industry news.
- Car and Driver Informative, thorough, and fun auto reviews.
- Revology Classic Ford Mustang body, modern and new everything else.
- Christian Standard Bible A readable modern Bible translation that tries to balance preserving the structure and conveying the meaning of the original texts.
- English Standard Version Modern English Bible translation with a focus on literal, word-for-word accuracy.
- My Utmost for His Highest Classic daily devotional available for free.
- Saddleback Church Watch sermons from home. Useful if it’s hard to make it out some Sunday mornings.
- DBeaver Cross-platform database client app. As long as there’s a JDBC driver you can connect to it with this.
- Elasticsearch Distributed storage, API, and search engine for fast searching.
- PostgreSQL General-purpose database with great documentation.
- Presto Distributed query engine for analytical workloads that can talk to many kinds of common data sources.
- GNU awk A powerful and way under appreciated text processing tool.
- GNU Core Utilities (coreutils) The must-know command-line utilities for file, shell, and text manipulation.
- Gnuplot Open source graphing tools. Turns numbers into pictures.
- Jekyll Static site generator written in Ruby.
- Repl.it An instant in-browser IDE and REPL with support for many of the most common programming languages.
- Ruby on Rails The best way to write web apps to get up and running quickly and get you pretty far too.
- Khan Academy Learn anything at your own pace.
- Harkness Method Sit kids around in a circle and let them actively grapple with ideas instead of being lectured to.
- Poseidon Water Builders of saltwater desalination plants, including one that’s up and running in Carlsbad, California.
- Sahara Forest Project Project that aims to incrementally and sustainably reforest the Sahara Desert.
Investing and Business Strategy
- Berkshire Shareholder Letters Folksy wisdom about long-term investing.
- Borsa App to make it much easier to listen to public company earnings calls.
- Maintainers Global research network advocating for maintenance, infrastructure, repair, and the myriad forms of labor and expertise that sustain the human-built world.
- Robinhood Buy and sell stocks for free. Modern product experience too.
- Stratechery Analysis of the strategy and business side of technology and media, and the impact of technology on society from.
- Tren Griffin
- Wealthfront A place to roll your 401k over. Automatic reinvesting of dividends and rebalancing.
- Bloomberg News Stock market and business news.
- The Economist Very well-written world news and analysis.
- Harvard Business Review Business and management articles to remind you that you’re not insane after all.
- The New Yorker Challenging but worthwhile reads.
- NPR American news.
- Sydney Morning Herald Keep up with what’s going on in Australia and Asia-Pacific.
- Taipei Times English-language news from Taiwan.
- Washington Post Mainstream American news.
Open Source Tools
- Apache Directory Studio Cross-platform LDAP client for desktop.
- Visual Studio Code A really good code editor.
- Redmine Decent open source project management software, with issue tracking, wiki, and integration with version control.
- Jupyter Create and share documents that contain live code, equations, visualizations and narrative text.
Privacy and Security
- FastMail Paid email service with IMAP, calendars, and credentials specific for each client app. Also fast.
- LastPass Password manager to keep track of different passwords for different sites. Includes client-side password generators and a generous free tier.
- Mozilla Firefox Privacy focused web browser.
- Private Internet Access VPN service you can pay for with gift cards. Great for traveling and connecting to WiFi from untrusted public networks.
- ProtonMail Secure email service, based in Switzerland, with client-side encryption and decryption.
- Basecamp No-nonsense project management software.
- Datadog Monitoring and pretty graphs. Ship your metrics and logs to them, and build visual graphs and set up alerts.
- GitHub Hosted Git repositories and more. Market leader.
- GitLab Hosted Git repositories and more. Impressive up and comer. Use if you don’t like Microsoft.
- New Relic Insights into your running software, with minimal configuration.
- Notion Well-designed, all-in-one productivity tool. Notes, to-do lists, Kanban boards. I use it for notes.
- Pinboard Bookmarking site that does the job. Run by one guy. Low overhead and profitable.
- Trello Kanban board for tracking progress on work items.
- ArcaOS Continuation of OS/2.
- Haiku Open-source BeOS.
- MATE Desktop Preservation of GNOME 2 desktop environment on Linux. None of this converged touchscreen stuff. All in on the traditional desktop metaphor.
- ReactOS Clean room open source implementation of Windows. Rough around the edges but admirable ambition and results.
- SerenityOS From-scratch OS described as a love letter to ’90s user interfaces, with a custom Unix-like core. Written by basically one guy.
Software Engineering and Architecture
- Architecture of Open Source Applications Technical conceptual overviews of various widely used open source applications.
- Coding Horror
- Daniel J. Bernstein
- James Hague Real talk about programming that goes beyond what sounds good and into what it’s really like. No new posts, just an archive, but one full of classics.
- Joel on Software
- Julia Evans Hard and involved technology topics discussed in a disarmingly friendly and accessible way.
- Martin Fowler A website on building software effectively.
- Rands in Repose A must-read for software engineering management and leadership.
- Scott Berkun Real talk on project management and other topics that will deeply resonate with doers and builders.